Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Beyond the Textbooks

Almost everyday I have my students write in a reflection journal. For part of their morning work students must copy either a quote or a question from the board and then reflect on what the quote means to them or answer the thought provoking question. All of the quotes and questions are usually based on life lessons, character, dreams, choices, etc. Most students truly enjoy doing this. Every two weeks I collect all of the reflection journals, read each one, and then write comments back to the students. This means a lot to them and it shows that I care about what they have to say.

The following is an example of a quote that I have used in the past:


'Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail'.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for teachers like you!! What a vital exercise, giving the children the opportunity to explore philosophical ideas adds deep meaning to their educational experience and helps them to become thoughtful, responsible people in our society. My hope is that my children come across thoughtful teachers like you!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this era of web 2.0, we easily get nice & updated information for research purposes... I'd definitely appreciate the work of the said blog owner... Thanks!
    ................................

    writing a term paper-Essay Writing Help

    ReplyDelete